What Should I Do If I Am Hurt at Work?

If you are injured at work, the law requires you to report the incident to your employer within 90 days of the accident. To best protect your rights, you should immediately report every injury/accident to your supervisor, even if you do not think the injury is serious.

A work-related injury is any injury or illness that you suffer during the course and scope of your employment. This includes three primary types of medical conditions: physical injuries, occupational illnesses, and repetitive stress (what we call WEAR and TEAR) injuries.

How to Know for Sure if Your Injury Was Work-Related

Many people have a delayed onset of symptoms following an accident, especially with respect to spinal and joint injuries. By documenting your work-related accident as soon as it occurs, you reduce the risk that the insurance company will later deny your claim if it turns out that your injury is more serious than you first thought.

Failure to notify your employer immediately does not legally prevent you from receiving workers’ compensation approved medical treatment, even if your employer has you submit your treatment to your health insurer.

If you are hurt at work, you need an experienced workers’ compensation attorney on your side.  Give us a call at 888-675-7607 or fill out our online form to request a free and confidential consultation with one of Petro Cohen’s workers’ compensation attorneys.


Contact Us

Your Name

Phone Number


Describe your case

Why Work With PCPM?

  • Highest firm rating (A/V) from Martindale-Hubbell
  • Recognized by "Best Lawyers in America®" every year since 1995
  • Named in every (15) "NJ Super Lawyers®" survey for Workers' Compensation and 12 for Personal Injury