When you are hurt in an accident, getting proper medical care is essential. You will need to go to the doctor quite a few times to get the care you need, and your treatment may involve diagnostic tests, specialist visits, surgery, and more.

Personal Injury in Northfield, NJ

You will need to go to follow-up visits to make sure you are recovering on track. Not only is it important for you to keep up with your care in order to recover fully, but also because a gap in your care could lead to questions about the severity of your injury.

Why Gaps in Treatment Can Harm Your Case

There are two general types of gaps in treatment. The first type is when you get hurt in an accident but do not seek medical treatment for your injuries until much later. The second type is when you are hurt and seek treatment right away, but then you stop seeing your doctor and let several months pass before you go back.

No matter which type of gap you have in your treatment history, an insurance adjuster will be questioning why you did not seek treatment. He or she will argue that gaps in treatment are evidence that you are not as badly hurt as you claim. That is why it is so important to keep seeing your doctor if your pain is ongoing. In addition, you should keep a record of your visits, treatments, pain levels, and symptoms.

Tell Your Attorney Why You Have a Gap in Treatment

If you have a gap in your treatment, it does not mean that you are not hurt or that you are not in pain. Sometimes you simply cannot avoid a gap in treatment. Maybe you could not get to your appointments because your symptoms were so severe, or you came down with another illness that worsened your condition and made it harder to seek treatment.

Maybe you underwent an unrelated surgery that required recovery time, and that time kept you away from continuing to pursue treatment for your injuries. Maybe you had family obligations or had to travel. Whatever the reason, you should communicate it to your attorney so he or she can document it and argue that it should not be held against you by your insurance company.

Gaps in Treatment Due to Lack of Health Coverage

Maybe, like many people in the United States right now, you simply could not afford medical treatment because you do not have health insurance, or because you have a high-deductible plan with large out-of-pocket costs. If that is the case, you should consult with your attorney about how to best get treatment.

If you do not have insurance coverage, some providers will accept a letter of protection, which is a document authorizing your attorney to pay the health care provider out of your settlement money, so you can get the treatment you need now and pay later, when your settlement comes through. You should consult with your attorney about a letter of protection if necessary.

Don’t Wait to See a Doctor When You’re Hurt

If you are hurt in an accident and you are in pain, you should consult a doctor. Your main concern should be to start healing. When you wait to see a doctor, that could affect your ability to recover.

If you believe that the pain you have is from your accident, seeing the doctor following your accident is necessary in order to confirm that your pain, symptoms, and injuries are related to the accident.

Put Your Health First

Many people who are injured in accidents put off seeking medical care because they are afraid of big medical bills, missing time from work, and not being able to take care of their families, but you need to put your health first. If you are really injured, then it is critical that you take care of your health, try to recover, and seek consistent medical treatment.

You may be living with the effects of your accident for the rest of your life, but treatment will be most effective when you commit yourself to it fully.

Put your health first and do not worry about medical bills, lost wages, or diminished future earning potential. Your attorney can help you solve those problems by obtaining a settlement that will compensate you for your losses.

Contact an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer Today

If you, a friend, or family member have been injured and would like to receive more information on getting compensation, contact the attorneys at Petro Cohen, P.C. as soon as possible at (609) 677-1700, or fill out the form online to schedule your free consultation. We can answer your questions and determine the most efficient way to proceed to best help you and your family obtain the compensation that you deserve.