The following are answers to some frequently asked questions about seeking workers’ compensation benefits in New Jersey.

1. What should I do if I am injured in a workplace accident or suffer a work-related injury? When you suffer a work-related injury, it is important to notify your employer as soon as possible. Employers are entitled to choose the medical providers who treat their employees’ workplace injuries, so you want to make sure you work through your employer to obtain full medical benefits.

2. What benefits are available through workers’ compensation? The New Jersey workers’ compensation system provides benefits to cover employees’ medical treatment and lost wages arising out of work-related injuries. Compensation for lost wages is referred to as either temporary or permanent disability benefits. Temporary disability benefits are most common, and are generally paid at 70% of the employee’s wage or salary. You may also be entitled to additional compensation based on any permanent disability or loss of function.

3. When am I eligible for medical and disability benefits? There is no waiting period for medical workers’ compensation benefits or for permanent disability. In order to receive temporary disability benefits, you must be medically unable to work for a minimum of seven days. This includes weekends and holidays, and the days do not need to be consecutive.

4. What if my employer is refusing to provide benefits? Employers deny workers’ compensation claims for a variety of different reasons. If your employer has denied your claim but you still feel that you are entitled to compensation, you can contact your employer’s insurance company directly. You can also file a claim with the New Jersey Division of Workers’ Compensation. However, we always recommend that your first step is to speak with a knowledgeable and experienced workers’ compensation attorney at Petro Cohen who can help you through the process and make sure you receive all of the benefits you rightfully deserve.

5. What if I don’t like my employer’s medical provider? Through workers’ compensation, you should receive professional medical care that restores you to your pre-injury condition to the greatest extent possible. If the doctor chosen by your employer is not providing adequate care to treat your injuries, you are entitled to file a Motion for Medical and/or Temporary Disability Benefits. A hearing will likely be scheduled within 30 days of proper filing of the Motion.

Speak with an Experienced New Jersey Workers’ Compensation Attorney

If you have suffered a work-related injury and have questions about workers’ compensation, the attorneys at Petro Cohen, P.C. are here to help you. Contact us now to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation.